Be AWARE of Factors that Protect Against Suicide
- Effective clinical care for those with mental, physical, and substance abuse issues.
- Easy access to a variety of clinical interventions and support for help-seeking.
- Strong ties to family and community.
- Ongoing relationships with medical and mental health care providers.
- Having problem solving and conflict resolution skills and understanding nonviolent ways of resolving disputes.
- Religious and cultural beliefs that discourage suicide and support self-preservation instincts.
(U.S. Public Health Service, 1999)